Monday, March 21, 2005

Book Survey Meme

José+Saramago
Michael at Heliolith
has really put me on the spot. He's passed on to me this book survey meme which came to him via Saheli which came to her via .... I was thinking of passing on this but couldn't get it out of my mind. So here goes (but fiction only).

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
Which bought to mind the famous words Ray Bradbury offers Faber: "Do you know why books such as this are so important? Because they have quality. And what does the word quality mean? To me it means texture. This book has pores". So a book with texture and that breathes? Love In The Time Of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez, the hope for love amid its own folly, imprecision and lapses.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Who hasn't? Some recent examples: Both Naoko and Midori in Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami; Natalia Manur in The Man Of Feeling by Javier Marías; Fermina Daza in Love In The Time Of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez.

The last book you bought is:
Kafka On The Shore by Haruki Murakami.

The last book you read:
The Plot Against America by Philip Roth

What are you currently reading?
The Double by José Saramago and The Shape Of A Pocket by John Berger.

Five books you would take to a deserted island
The Life And Opinions Of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne.
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner.
The Plague by Albert Camus.
Memory Of Fire Trilogy by Eduardo Galeano (Genesis; Faces And Masks; Century Of The Wind).
Blindness by José Saramago.

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?
Bonn at A Good Game: because he'll spring some surprises.
The feline at Hak Mao
: because she'll be pithy and perhaps scabrous.
Norm at normblog
: because he likes this kind of thing.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gareth,

Nice to see your choice books! I can't believe I still haven't read Love in the time of Cholera, even though I swear I've had it on my shelf for the last 15 years. I'll bump it up a notch now.

1:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surprised by Fahrenheit 451 ! I read it as an external reading for exam when I was 17. Montag is still on my mind though.

3:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And A Link Back To Your Web Site Excite You?

2:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

software submitter

7:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home